We use sterling silver in many of our personalized jewelry creations. You can polish by rubbing with a soft cotton cloth or a specially treated polishing cloth*. A pre-treated polishing pad will be included with your sterling silver order. With proper care you will be able to enjoy your beautiful piece for years.
Tarnish is a natural process that occurs with anything made of sterling silver. Sterling silver is 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metal (generally copper). When sterling silver is exposed to sulfur in the air, the other metal in it tarnishes.
Our stainless steel, gold filled, and brass metals are tarnish resistant metals. Gold filled is a layer of gold bonded onto a base metal like brass.
After wearing your jewelry we recommend you clean your item with a polishing cloth*.
*the Sunshine polishing cloth is available for purchase in our online store.
Tarnish prevention and tarnish remover tips for your jewelry:
- Store your jewelry in a cool, dry, dark place. Tarnish has a way of sneaking up on you, especially if you live in a very humid climate. We include an anti-tarnish bag for you to store your jewelry when you are not wearing it.
- Add anti-tarnish paper in the form of strips or tabs. These have anti-tarnish agents that absorb sulfur in the air so you won't have to constantly clean and polish silver tarnish from your jewelry. You can simply place them in your jewelry box. A small black anti tarnish tab has been provided for sterling silver order.
- Avoid leaving your jewelry in humid areas such as the bathroom.
- Do not swim or bath with your jewelry. By doing so, you could cause permanent damage to your jewelry
- Do not allow your jewelry to come in contact with chemicals (such as fumes from bleach, etc), cosmetics, perfume, locations, and hairspray.
- Be careful of using store bought jewelry cleaners on your precious metals. Many of these cleaners have chemicals that can permanently damage your jewelry. These will also remove the darkness in the text which cannot be added again in the future.